New Year Home Maintenance Plan
Originally posted in the January 2021 Dominion Lending Centers Brokers for Life newsletter.
Keep your home in comfy, cozy and working order all year long with this easy maintenance schedule highlighting important areas to check - and when!
- January: Safety check! Start your year off on the right foot by ensuring your home is in proper working order. Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace batteries as necessary.
- February: The colder months are a great time to tackle indoor maintenance. Take the time to inspect your shower, tub and toilet for any leaks and recalk as needed to save you on costly repairs later in the year.
- March: Inspect your windows and doors for cracks as any gaps will cause heat (and air conditioning!) to escape from your home. Add weather stripping as needed to ensure they are sealed.
- April: As we get closer to spring, this is a great time to focus on the exterior of your home. A power-wash and deep clean of your siding and windows will help your home look its best.
- May: With summer just around the corner, this is a good time to check your A/C unit and ensure it is up to the challenge. Contact a professional HVAC company to service your unit and ensure it is up to optimal efficiency and output.
- June: As we move outside in the warmer months, this is the perfect opportunity to spruce up your deck and outdoor space. Pressure washing and resealing your deck will help keep it functional and gorgeous, all year long!
- July: Insects run wild in the warmer weather. To prevent damage, it is a good idea to consider a pest control plan especially if you live in a highly active area.
- August: As the end of the summer approaches and we get closer to the rainy season, you will want to ensure your roof is in good working order. Check the areas around your eaves and gutters for any water damage and ensure there are no leaks or loose shingles that could cause issues down the road.
- September: To create that warm and cozy fall atmosphere, you will want to ensure your fireplace is doing its job. This is the perfect time for a thorough inspection of your fireplace - whether wood or gas - to ensure everything is working well.
- October: With the gorgeous colors of fall in full swing, October is a great month to touch up the exterior of your home's paint and boost your curb appeal. While you're at it, make sure to check your foundations for any damage that could worsen in the colder months.
- November: As the leaves start to fall, it could spell a mess for your home. In November, focus on leaf and gutter cleanup. Regularly rake your yard to keep your grass green and collect any debris that may have collected in your gutters or your roof from high winds.
- December: You made it! Another year of home maintenance is almost done as we move into December. Get yourself snow ready by prepping your pipes and considering added insulation to keep them from freezing.